Classes of hosting solutions
A hosting solution involves depositing and/or sharing given web content on a web server managed by a hosting vendor. There are various classes of hosting services utilized for different goals, so let's take a peek at them. In that way, you can choose what you need, based on whether you wish to run a blog, mail accounts, or to share files with comrades and colleagues.
- File hosting: a solution supplied by certain providers, which enables you to share large files. These could be disk images, motion pictures, audio files, archived files, and so on. This service is also known as file storage, and its sole goal is to share files, since it does not support web site uploading. Once the files are uploaded, you will either receive an accidentally created download link for each of them, or you will be able to view an inventory of all the files in a directory, but you will be unable to view .html or .php web files in your browser. Free-of-cost file hosting plans are frequently supported by exhibiting ads by the download links, while a timer obliges you to wait for a given amount of time to see them. A given file can be downloaded with restricted speed. If you purchase a paid file storage package, there are no restrictions as to how many files you can upload/download immediately, and also there is no limitation in regard to the download speed or the file size.
These days, with the assistance of the cPanel hosting distributors, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more voguish "cloud hosting". This is a completely fallacious explanation of the real connotation of "cloud hosting". An actual cloud website hosting platform would split the tasks at hand between separate sets of web servers in a cluster, which are devoted to serving miscellaneous website hosting services (mail, disk storage, statistics, DNS, databases, web site hosting CP, and so on.) So, the file hosting service is simply a sort of a storage space hosting service, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even near.
- Image hosting: similar to file hosting; certain suppliers provide a hosting service for pictures only. This hosting kind is appropriate if you want to share a big number of pictures with chums or associates since the solution is mostly free of cost. You will get a randomly generated link for each picture or album and you can then share this link. As with the file storage solution, .html and .php files are not compatible, so the solution cannot be utilized for websites.
- Email hosting: a solution devoted to tackling your e-mail box accounts. Some vendors provide web hosting solutions for web sites, but do not supply an e-mail hosting service. If you would like to manage a mail address with your domain name but do not desire to keep a web site, then the e-mail hosting service is what you require. You can set up mail address accounts and administer them, but there will be no web solution for the domains. The email hosting solution involves incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP mail servers.
- Video hosting: this solution enables you to upload and share videos. You can either share a link to a certain video file, or you can embed the video in your website that is hosted somewhere else. The benefit of using this method in lieu of uploading the video in a hosting account is that the video clip brings about a given amount of CPU load, so with a few video clips and several hundred site visitors, you may have difficulty with your website hosting supplies. Embedding the video will allow you to operate as many video files as you want to without worrying about system resources.
- Web hosting: this is the solution that you need if you desire to possess a web site. To a certain extent, it includes all of the aforesaid hosting variants since, along with your web pages, you can also host images and files, you can keep databases and e-mails, upload video clips, and so on. At Angry Dog Hosting Company, for example, you can observe web hosting and dedicated web server hosting plans that permit you to have all of the aforesaid solutions in one place. There may be limits depending on the kind of hosting service that you've settled on - a free hosting plan, a paid shared hosting package, a VPS or a dedicated server. Depending on that, your web page hosting plan may be better or worse compared to the ordinary email/file/video/image hosting packages that are tailored for specific web content solely.